Retrospective clinical study of the effects of T-tube placement for bile duct stricture
Accessinfo:eu-repo/semantics/openAccessAttribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
MetadataShow full item record
CitationŞahiner, İ. T., Kendirci, M. (2017). Retrospective clinical study of the effects of T-tube placement for bile duct stricture. Medical Science Monitor, 23, 4328-4333.
Background: T-tube placement in the common bile duct (CBD) is a surgical alternative to bile duct reconstruction in cholecystectomy for cholecysto-choledocholithiasis, or gallstones. The aim of this retrospective clinical study was to investigate the incidence of late complications of T-tube placement. Material/Methods: Retrospective review identified 35 patients who had T-tube placement during cholecystectomy. Clinical data were collected on surgical indications, patient demographics, and clinical symptoms. Ultrasound (US) was used measure the diameter of the common bile duct (CBD), intrahepatic ducts, and presence or absence of stones in the CBD. Data from laboratory investigations included the aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index (APRI), which was used as a non-invasive method to evaluate both cholestasis and liver fibrosis. Results: Of the 35 patients included in the study, 33 (94.3%) underwent open cholecystectomy, CBD exploration, and T-tube placement due to cholecysto-choledocholithiasis. The remaining two patients (5.7%) underwent primary CBD repair and T-tube placement secondary to CBD injury. The mean follow-up period after T-tube placement was 69 months. In patients with T-tube placement, the CBD diameters ranged from 4-21 mm, were normal in 20 patients (57.1%), dilated in 15 patients (42.9%), with the mean CBD diameter being 8.91±4.82 mm. No residual or recurrent CBD calculus and no clinical or laboratory evidence of cholangitis or cholestasis were found. Conclusions: A retrospective clinical study at a single surgical center, showed that T-tube placement during open cholecystectomy and CBD exploration was a safe procedure that did not result in late complications. © Med Sci Monit.