All-seeing-access sheath: A novel fluoroscopy-free placement technique in retrograde intrarenal surgery
Özgür, Berat Cem
Şentürk, Aykut Buğra
Akdağlı Ekici, Arzu
Baykam, Mehmet Murat
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEkici, M., Özgür, B. C., Şentürk, A. B., Akdağlı Ekici, A., Aydın, C., Baykam, M. M. (2019). All-seeing-access sheath: A novel fluoroscopy-free placement technique in retrograde intrarenal surgery. Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan: JCPSP, 29(3), 263-267.
Objective: To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of fluoroscopy-free RIRS (Retrograde intrarenal surgery) method in urolithiasis. Study Design: An observational study. Place and Duration of Study: Department of Urology, Hitit University Corum Training and Research Hospital, Corum, Turkey, from October 2014 and October 2017. Methodology: Preoperative and postoperative data of 62 cases of renal calculi that underwent fluoroscopy-free RIRS procedure by a single surgeon were prospectively evaluated. All manipulations were performed with a novel technique; under direct vision during the operation. Fluoroscopy device was kept at hand in the operating room, but was not used. Results: The mean age was found as 51.73 ±12.63 (22-82) years. Fortyone patients (66.1%) were males and 21 (33.9%) were females. The mean size of stones were 19.29 ±7.64 (10-40) mm. The stone-free rate was calculated as 42 (67.7%) cases in a single session one month after the surgery, and 15 (24.2%) cases after the second session at the postoperative first month. A total of 57/61 (91.9%) patients were stone-free after the second procedure. No major intraoperative and postoperative complications were observed. As for the minor complications, one patient (1.6%) developed hematuria and four patients (6.5%) had fever. Conclusion: The described fluoroscopy-free RIRS procedure can be performed effectively and safely in patients diagnosed with renal calculi, by endourologists. © 2019 Dustri-Verlag Dr. Karl Feistle. All Rights Reserved.